Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Mexico Outreach & Conference Update and What God Is Teaching Me

Dear Friends & Family,

    As you know, I was recently in Ensenada and Tijuana, Mexico for about two weeks. The first week we were there, we stayed at YWAM Ensenada, catching up with old friends, meeting new friends and sharing the love of Christ to the locals. The last couple days we were there, we were at YWAM Tijuana for YWAM’s 50th Year Celebration. The founders of YWAM, Loren & Darlene Cunningham, spoke throughout the four day event about how God started this mission, how He’s been so faithful to us as a mission the past 50 years and also asking God how He wants to use this mission in the next 50 years. It was a marvelous time!

    I need to be honest though. Before we left to Mexico, I had a really bad attitude and did not want to go - at all. One of the reasons I didn’t want to go was because I didn’t have money to pay for it. Well, God took care of that quite easily. The day before we left, I still didn’t have my money, but that afternoon, the exact amount showed up anonymously for my trip. That started everything. I knew even though I didn’t want to go, I was supposed to.

    While in Mexico, God addressed my bad attitude and I realized that it was more than about this trip. I had a bad attitude towards a lot of things going on and I wasn’t even admitting it to myself. Some of them were relating to my pride, dying to myself, and serving others even if I didn’t feel like it.

    I hated the attitude I was having, thinking that my ideas were the right ones and the other ideas were wrong or that I didn’t need to help this person because I just didn’t want to. It was so silly. I wanted so badly to get over it. What I felt like wasn’t the real Tyler.

    Finally, a light bulb went off in my head. I asked God to change my heart. I prayed – a lot! I prayed that He would soften my heart, to work in my heart and to take away my negative attitude and replace it with a willing heart, a loving heart, a servant’s heart. He has and is continuing to!

    Since giving this up to the Lord, things have been amazing these past few weeks. It’s amazing what God can do when we see our faults, are willing to admit our faults and ask God to change our hearts. It’s hard to be humbled, to admit that we’re wrong, but I believe that is when you see the most growth. I pray that I continue to let God mold my heart how He wants it to be, that I would be vulnerable and that He would continue to humble me. Would you pray for me in this area as well?

Thank You & God Bless,

-Tyler Dean

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Tyler. I'm glad YWAM is the route God chose for you and for the work he's doing in you there.
    Joel.

    ReplyDelete