Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A Simple Hello....

Last Friday after dinner around 7:00, I was running late on my way over to a young adult church service. I knew if I didn't stop and get coffee, I would have definitely fallen asleep.

As I was at Starbucks waiting for my latte, I saw a young man about my age, who was wearing a black fleece North Face jacket, who was on crutches also waiting for his coffee. I noticed that his right leg had very recently been amputated right above the knee. He looked tired, worn out and just plain down....

Immediately, God put it on my heart to talk to him...to say a simple hello. As I was wrestling with the fear of man to go speak with him, the lady who was making coffee yelled out, "Tyler, your latte is ready-thank you!"

I went up to the counter and grabbed my coffee. I walked out the door, got into my car, turned the key and drove off....

...Why...?

Why didn't I take a few minutes to talk to this young man...to say a simple hello. Why?

I don't know if the Lord would have lead me to just say hello, to encourage him or if He would have lead me to pray for him. I don't know what I would have prayed...maybe for God to meet him where he was at in that moment...Possibly for God to heal his right leg...for it to grow back completely..? I don't know. Maybe he wouldn't have even replied back to my simple hello. I do not know....

I guess I will never know....

This has stuck in my head since that Friday evening around 7:00. I've thought about it a lot. I pray that God puts that young man back into my path once again so I can say that simple hello...so I could possibly even pray for him!

Some of you may have experienced something similar. My prayer for you, too, is that we could both be bold, obey God and get rid of that fear of man...to say that simple hello...and possibly even pray for him....

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tyler, hun next time you just go ahead and smile and say hi. I have finally in all my years gotten over being worried. I believe God has taken me out of my comfort zone so many times and now just a simple smile and hello can be just what someone needs. NEVER be affraid He is with you. Love Lisa

    ReplyDelete